Askeaton - Eas Geiphtine, the "waterfall of Gephtine" is situated on the banks of the river Deel. on the N 69. Askeaton derives its name from a waterfall south of the town known as Eas Geitine or Eas Gheiphtine, named after a tribe who settled here in pre Christian times.
Askeaton was a great stronghold of the Earls of Desmond and Askeaton Castle, home to the Earls of Desmond, was built around 1348. Lord Pelham and his English forces captured the Castle in 1580, during the Desmond Wars. The lands were later granted to the Berkeley family.
Askeaton Franciscan Friary is believed to have been built around 1400, by the third Earl of Desmond Gerald.
St Mary's Church is held to have been founded by the Knights Templars in 1298.
Lismakerry Ring Fort is located in the parish to which it lends its name about two miles from Askeaton. Lismakerry church is situated near the Fort
Askeaton was once a milling centre and had a brewery. It has a long sea going tradition and at one time, timber from Curraghchase and Castle Hewson was exported through Askeaton to make props for Scottish mines. The Gondola, a flat-bottomed boat, was very popular in Askeaton, and was peculiar to that part of the Shannon.
There are two holy wells in Askeaton; Sunday's Wells in the townland of Moig south. They are twenty yards apart. Devotions have ceased to these wells, but rounds were made on Sunday mornings before sunrise in former times.
Legend: Dirty clothes were washed in the wells and next morning there were two wells, the real well could not be distinguished. A fish used to be seen in the original well.
A man suffering from an incurable disease rubbed the water to his bones and a week later the disease had completely disappeared.